Saturday, November 17, 2012

Making Applesauce

This year we made the most applesauce we have ever made and it was all with the help of two of my elves.  I can process half a bushel of apples in about two hours time.   
First we wash and cut the apples into pieces.  Second, we threw them in a big pot with about 4 cups of water.  Turn on the stove and bring the pot up to boiling.  

When the apples are good and squishy it is time to run them through the Squeezo Strainer.  This contraption hasn't changed much in at least 50 years time.  I use one that my parents purchased in the 70's.  No peeling or other prep is required on the apples because seeds, skins and other bits are filtered out and only the sauce remains. 


Even the girls can help me move the apples through the strainer. 

The finished result is happy kiddos and quarts of fresh hot applesauce.    I can the majority of it for winter but we do eat some hot out of the strainer.  Yum!




No comments: